Tama County Zoning Commission seeks to fill vacancy
The Tama Co. Board of Supervisors is now accepting applications to fill one vacancy on the Zoning Commission. The Board of Supervisors will appoint a commissioner consisting of eligible electors who reside within the county.
Job Description: The Zoning Commissioner makes recommendations concerning re-zoning and text amendments to the Board of Supervisors. The Commission also makes recommendations to the Board of Adjustment for certain conditional uses as directed by the zoning ordinance.
– A degree with coursework in planning or a related field or at least two years of experience in municipal or county zoning and floodplain management or a related field.
– A working and comprehensive knowledge of code enforcement principles.
– Ability to objectively sort facts from opinions and passions on controversial issues.
– Meet the requirements of Iowa Code 335.11 and 69.16A.
A Zoning Commissioner’s duties are:
– Handle matters related to all zoning issues within the County.
– Enforcement of the resolutions or ordinances adopted by the Board of Supervisors.
– Attend meetings when necessary.
– Research zoning issues to be prepared for policy debates.
– Act as an impartial coordinating body between departments.
– Prepare preliminary reports.
– Hold public hearings on preliminary reports before submitting the commission’s final report.
– Make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors regarding amendments, supplements, changes, and modifications of county zoning policies.
– Conduct contracts upon approval, on behalf of the Board of Supervisors, with professional consultants, regional planning commissions, the economic development authority, or the federal government for local planning assistance.
Applications can be picked up at the Tama Co. Auditor’s Office or found on the Board of Supervisors webpage at https://www.tamacounty.iowa.gov/ under “Application Form for Tama County Board/Commission.”
Applications can be submitted by drop-off at Tama Co. Auditor’s Office, 104 W. State St., Toledo, IA 52342; mailed to: Zoning Commission Position – Tama County Auditor, P.O. Box 61, Toledo, IA 52342 or via Email: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 PM on Sept. 16.