×

STC students part of Iowa Youth Congress

STC students Jonathan Meyer (left) and Libby Albright (right) pictured in the Iowa Senate Chamber in Des Moines with Sen. Eric Giddens (D-Cedar Falls) during a recent visit coordinated by the Iowa Youth Congress. – Submitted photo

Two local high school students are part of a statewide student leadership program that seeks to engage Iowa students of all backgrounds in the government process.

South Tama County High School junior Libby Albright and senior Jonathan Meyer are part of this year’s Iowa Youth Congress. They visited the Iowa Statehouse recently to talk with legislators as part of the year-long program, which is sponsored by the Iowa Department of Human Rights.

One issue the students support is adding student representation to Iowa’s school boards. The proposal currently calls for all school boards to a minimum of one non-voting high school student member. This would give students a chance to have a voice and advocate for themselves when needed. Albright and Meyer recently discussed the issue with Sen. Eric Giddens of Cedar Falls in the Iowa Senate Chamber at the Statehouse.

The Iowa Youth Congress (IYC) was created in 2006 and provides youth of all backgrounds the opportunity to gain hands-on education in the subject areas of state government, democracy, advocacy, and civic engagement.

The program holds regional meetings throughout the year and engages students in a one-day Mock Congress event.

South Tama County – IYC Student Bios

Jonathan Meyer is a senior and this is his first year in IYC. Jonathan is involved in cross country, track, band, National Honor Society, prom committee and student council. Meyer has a YouTube channel called “Tama Project Elite” where he creates content about running and documents the success of the cross country team. He is passionate about student voice and is grateful for the opportunity to be a part of IYC.

Libby Albright is a junior and this is her first year in IYC. She is an active member in her school as the vice president of Student Council, the secretary of Thespian Troupe #1038, the choir secretary, and a section leader in band. She is involved in plays and musicals, speech, band, choir, National Honor Society, prom committee, soccer, and science club. Libby serves as the 1st Vice President-telect of the Iowa Association of Student Councils, the 2022 Iowa Communications State Thespian Officer and has previously done work on the “Please Pass the Love” Youth Advisory Board. Libby enjoys musicals, hotdogs, and running, and is thrilled to be a member of IYC this year.

More information on the Iowa Youth Congress is available online at https://humanrights.iowa.gov/iowa-youth-congress