Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Carbon monoxide detectors can save lives

February 24, 2016
By State Senator Steve Sodders - D-State Center , Toledo Chronicle, Tama News-Herald

Breathing high levels of carbon monoxide can cause loss of consciousness and even death. Every year in the U.S., more than 500 people die from exposure to this odorless, colorless toxic gas.

Detection relies on carbon monoxide alarms, which the Senate State Government Committee has voted to require in multiple-unit residential buildings and single-family dwellings (SSB 3017). This requirement, similar to Iowa's current law for installation of smoke detectors, would takes effect July 1, 2017.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by:

Article Photos

State Senator Steve Sodders
D-State Center

Poorly maintained or unvented heating equipment

Warming up vehicles in enclosed spaces

Using a gas stove or oven

Blocked chimneys or heating exhaust vents

Prevention measures include:

Having gas, oil or coal burning appliances serviced annually.

Installing a battery-powered carbon monoxide detector near all sleeping areas, and replacing the battery twice a year.

Seeking prompt medical attention if carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected.

Not using a gasoline or charcoal burning device in an enclosed space.

 
 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web