Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Trojans fall short in close match against Ballard

May 21, 2014
Bob McBain - Head Girls Soccer Coach , Toledo Chronicle, Tama News-Herald

ST/EM hosted Ballard on Saturday, May 10th in a 10:00 AM match time start. ST/EM started the game with Sam Earley in goal, Cynthia Lares, Hailee Weiss, Sadie Kavalier, and Ericka Dunning in defense, Araceli Angel, Kylee Hoskins, Mona Nunez and Kloey Fairall in mid-field, with Dani Stubbs and Erin Filloon as forwards. The weather was cool, and sunny.

The game did not start well for ST/EM, from a player point of view. Erin Filloon went down with a injury 30 seconds into the match, forcing a quick change in personnel. Socorro Mendoza went into the game to play forward. This was a game that was played in the mid-field with both teams trying to gain advantage. ST/EM used passing and controlled attacks while Ballard played long ball trying to get behind the ST/EM defense. It was an up and down game from 18 to 18 but neither team having an advantage. ST/EM substituted in the mid-field with Ballard doing the same. Kristi Lasley and Anna Jensen got to see action in the mid-field as well as up front. But neither team could generate a solid threat in the first half. Ballard had 4 shots on goal in the first half, with ST/EM having 2. Half time score 0-0.

Second half found more of the same. Ballard was trying to play the long ball and ST/EM controlled attacks. And again the game was a mid-field game. At the 56 minute Ballard finally got a long ball that ST/EM defense could not get back on and the ST/EM goalie came out to challenge, and blocked the first shot but the rebound went back to Ballard for a rebound goal. Ballard had success 3 minutes later for a 2-0 lead. ST/EM changed goalies and Hannah Kecker went into goal and Sam onto the field. For the next 20 minute the ball was in the Ballard end. Dani Stubbs had a couple of good looks but could not get the range or angle. Mona had a go as well, but right at the Ballard goalie. Finally in the 76th minute, ST/EM got a goal to cut the score to 2-1. Ballard was called for a hand ball and Sam Earley converted the PK. ST/EM kept up the pressure and for the final 4 minutes the game was played in front of the Ballard 18, but ST/EM just could not get the Equalizer. And this is the way the game ended.

Article Photos

STC/EM’s Sam Earley converted a penalty kick after Ballard was called for a hand ball on Saturday May 10 at STC’s soccer field. The final score of the game was 2-1.
Chronicle Photo/Allison Graham

ST/EM came to play and effort was there. ST/EM pressured Ballard at every turn, and never allowed Ballard to get into any rhythm other than the long ball. ST/EM played hard and wanted this game. This was a fun game to watch and coach. The players gave all they had. ST/EM was called for 6 offsides, and this showed in the inexperience of the front line as players were playing in this position for the first time, as ST/EM has lost both forwards that started the season in this position. For the game Ballard had 14 shots to 9 for ST/EM and Ballard had 3 corners to 1 for ST/EM. ST/EM won the 50-50 balls and played hard.

-Submitted by Bob McBain - Head Coach.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web