The General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC) is a diverse and supportive network of women in all f if ty states and in more than a dozen other countries with 100,000 members and more than 3,200 clubs worldwide. GFWC is dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. GFWC has helped women improve their communities and to expand their own opportunities since 1890 and remains one of the strongest and most influential women's volunteer service organizations in the country.
The GFWC/Iowa Federation of Women's Clubs is the proud sponsor of a scholarship program that is unique to the state of Iowa. Each year, thousands of dollars are given to graduating high school seniors who will attend Iowa post-secondary schools. Scholarship awards are based on achievement, f inanciai need and volunteerism. Unless specified, both male and female students are eligible. Applications may be obtained from the STC High School counselor, music and art instructors. All applications must be completed and mailed to the district scholarship chairman by March 1, 2014. This year the following scholarships are available.
1. GFWC/Iowa President's Special Scholarship ($1,000) for undergraduate study in Environmental Science or Renewable Energy.
2. Honors Scholarship ($1,000) Open to a graduating senior who ranks in the top 10% of the graduating class and who submits ACT scores as indicated in the application f orrn. This student must attend an accredited Iowa f our-year college or university.
3. Miller Memorial Music Scholarship ($1,000) Undergraduate Study in the f ield of Music in Iowa college or university.
4. Watsek Memorial Scholarship ($300) Undergraduate Study at the University of Iowa.
5. Van Oosterhout Memorial Scholarship ($300) Undergraduate Study.
6. Art Scholarship ($ 300) Undergraduate Study in f ine or performing arts.
7. Vocational/Technical Scholarship ($300) Study at community college or accredited technical school.
8. Middle Income Scholarship ($300) Awarded to a student with a family income not to exceed $60,000 per year.
9. Wessman Memorial Scholarship ($300) Undergraduate study at Iowa State University.
10. Clarke Scholarship ($300) Unrestricted undergraduate study.
11. Lake Scholarship ($300) Unrestricted undergraduate study.
12. Reierson Scholarship ($300) Unrestricted undergraduate study.
13. Molskow Scholarship ($300) Unrestricted undergraduate study.
14. Daisy Sires Scholarship ($400) Undergraduate study in the field of nursing.
Also available are three scholarships for graduate study. The applicants must be from Iowa and must enroll in a graduate school in Iowa. Scholarships are based on achievement and financial need. Applications are available from the GFWC/Iowa Toledo Woman's Club Scholarship Chairman, Marlene Eernisse, 641-484-2972.
1. Anna Howe Memorial Scholarship ($1,000) Unrestricted graduate study in an Iowa college or university.
2. Holbrook Scholarship ($1,000) Unrestricted graduate study in an Iowa college or university.
3. The Hughes Memorial Scholarship ($1,500) Awarded to a woman who was born, raised and still living in Iowa studying Law in her f irst, second, or third year of the program at the University of Iowa, brake University or with preference given to Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisc.