Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Allow emergency grazing of some county CRP acres

Drought Conditions Felt

September 11, 2013
Toledo Chronicle, Tama News-Herald

Tama County USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) County Executive Director Anna Boecker announced that in response to drought conditions, FSA has authorized emergency grazing use of some Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres for Tama County. The effective date for this authorization was Sept. 5.

Acreage eligible for emergency grazing includes practices CP1, CP2, CP4B, CP4D, and CP38 if included in the approved SAFE proposal.

"Eligible producers who are interested in emergency grazing of CRP must request approval before grazing eligible acreage," said Boecker. "It is also important for producers to obtain a modified conservation plan from the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) that includes grazing requirements," she said.

This grazing authorization became effective September, 2013. All livestock must be removed by September 30, 2013.

Upon approval of emergency grazing, producers must leave at least 25 percent of each field or contiguous CRP field ungrazed for wildlife or graze no more than 75 percent of the stocking rate determined by NRCS.

There will be a 10 percent CRP payment reduction depending on the number of acres actually grazed. To take advantage of the emergency grazing provisions, authorized producers can use the CRP acreage for their own livestock or may grant another livestock producer use of the CRP acreage for the purpose of grazing.

For more information and to request approval for emergency grazing of CRP acres contact the Tama County FSA office at 641-484-2701.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web