The Feast of Corpus Christi will be celebrated at the St. Wenceslaus Oratory and Cemetery on Sunday, June 2, 2013 with the Mass at 10:30 am, followed by Procession to the outdoor chapels and concluding with Benediction. Rev. Ray E. Atwood is the pastor. A potluck dinner will be enjoyed at the Clutier Social Center following the service at the church. Everyone is welcome.
The St. Wenceslaus parish at 2647 245th St. is located 2 1/2 miles west of Clutier. The parish was organized in 1899, held the first Mass on Christmas Day 1900 and blessed on October 18, 1901. St. Wenceslaus held its last Mass on May 26, 1992 and became an Oratory. The traditional Corpus Christi has been observed every year. Today it is a part of the Prince of Peace Cluster.
Corpus Christi originally started in Belgium when a nun, Sister Juliana, thought the Blessed Sacrament should be honored by public adoration. The solemn and colorful procession spread through the Catholic world, but seemed to take hold among Slavs, Polish and Czech people. Only a few parishes keep up this tradition today. St. Wenceslaus has carried on this tradition today. St. Wenceslaus has carried on this custom for many years with large processions which include a band playing a solemn march, flags and banners of lodges and organizations. Groups of boys and flower girls, the church choir, and the congregation follow. The priest carries the Blessed Sacrament out of the church and stops at the three decorated chapels on the church grounds to give honor to the Eucharist. The rosary is recited as the pilgrimage is made from chapel to chapel and then the group returns to the church for Benediction.