Ya gotta understand faithful readers, of The Tama News-Herald, the past three weeks of our love story that almost wasn't brought up some very painful memories. Forty years ago for Deb, the past three weeks for me. I should see a complete recovery but the bruises will take time to heal. I'm just kidding of course as Deb and I've been through many hills, valleys, ditches, sunrises, and the entire gamut of married life and she's the luckiest..............ah, I mean, "I'm the luckiest guy alive." But this week, I'm just clearing off my desk, ok?
First a quiz about some of our fifty states:
1. Which state is the only state in the continental U.S. That doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time?
2. The original hot dog was invented in this state.
3. This state was the first state to allow women to vote.
4. Montpelier is the only state capital of this state WITHOUT a McDonalds.
The Way I See It Answers
5. New Hampshire
6. New Mexico
8. North Carolina
9. South Dakota
5. Earl Tupper, the inventor of Tupperware in 1938, invented it here.
6. Smokey the Bear was a real bear and was rescued from a forest fire in what state?
7. In 1976, this state actually turned down the chance to host the Olympics.
8. The home of Krispy Kreame donuts is in this state.
9. This is the only state that has never had an earthquake.
10. In this state, residents live on the average, five years longer than people in other states.
Here are the answers in random order, ( Hawaii, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Ohio, South Dakota, New Hampshire, Vermont, North Carolina, New Mexico)
Sheda's Laws, (similar to Murphy's except he won't claim them).
1. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.
2. A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking, trying or working. (My columns work this way).
3. Hard work always pays off in the future, but laziness pays off--NOW!
4. No one ever listens until you make a mistake.
5. Success often happens in private while failure always occurs in public.
6. The severity of an itch is directly proportional to the location of that itch.
7. The sooner you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up.
8. Two wrongs for me are just the beginning.
9. Borrow money from a true pessimist; he won't expect it back.
10. And finally, again, if at first you don't succeed, please don't take up sky-diving.
And I gotta end with these three famous quotes:
1. "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." (Winston Churchill)
2. "I didn't attend the funeral, but sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." (Mark Twain)
3. "He has no real enemies that I can think of although he is intensely disliked by most of his friends." (Harry Truman)
Have a great week. Let me know some of your "laws" at email@example.com or call me at 319-334-4117. Love to hear from ya.
Oh, the answers to the quiz can be found in the Fact Box. Good luck.