Let’s notice some great advice that the bible gives to fathers and men. 1) Godly Fathers take their responsibilities seriously. “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.” (Ecclesiastes 12:13) Life is profitless unless we are connected to God and He is the head of our lives. The fear of God is a reverential awe that is produced in our lives when we see ourselves in the light of God’s holiness. When we see God for who He is we realize our need to instill godly principles in the lives of our children.
2) A Godly Father has an intimate relationship with God. “I am the vine, ye are the branches. He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.” (John 15:5) The Christian life is about abiding in Christ and bearing spiritual fruit. The greatest fruit you can bear as a father is to see your children grow to love the Lord and serve Him. Through our intimate relationship with Christ our children will see Christ in us.
3) A father must be a person of great prayer. “…The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” (James 5:16) Praying is asking, but more importantly it is having fellowship with God. Find the heart of God. Know God. Make serving God the most important aspect of your life.
4) Godly Fathers live in the present and not in the regrets of the past. Don’t allow mistakes of the past to keep you from being all that God wants you to be. Get it under the blood of Christ and go forward as a man of God. “…Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:13-14) You have to chose to live for God and go forward as a man of God, or else continue wallowing in past failure and spiritual impotence, which will erode our effectiveness as Christian fathers.
5) Godly Fathers do not give up and shirk their responsibilities in the face of opposition. “For a great door and effectual is opened unto me and there are many adversaries”. (I Corinthians 16:9) The person who wins the battle is the one with the most perseverance. The one who gets knocked down 10 times, but gets up 11 times and keeps on persevering in the face of opposition is the one who wins the race. He is the one who Gods uses to accomplish great things for Him because God knows he will stay in the battle, he will keep sounding the alarm and he will never back down from his Christian principles. Fathers, God has not called you to a life of comfort, or popularity, but to faithfulness. “Moreover it is required in stewards that a man be found faithful.” (I Corinthians 4:2) God has called us as fathers to raise our children faithfully in a Godly manner and live out that example before them in every facet of life. No matter what the cost, no matter what the adversity, be faithful.
6) Godly fathers have a vision of accomplishing great things for God, as they stay focused on the vision. “And the Lord answered me and said, write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. For it is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie, wait for it, because it will surely come, it will not tarry.” (Habakkuk 2:2-3)
I heard the following story about a farmer and his donkey.
The farmers donkey fell into a large abandoned well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out a way to get the donkey out of the well. The farmer decided that the donkey was old and not really of any great worth and really needed to just be covered up and forgotten. The farmer invited all of his neighbors to come over and help him. They each grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. Realizing what was happening the donkey at first cried and wailed horribly. Then a few shovels later he quieted down. The farmer peered down into the well and was astonished by what he saw. With every shovel full of dirt that hit his back the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up on the new layer of dirt. As they continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal he would shake it off and step up. Pretty soon the donkey stepped over the edge of the well and trotted off to the shock and astonishment of all the neighbors. Fathers, the world and the adversary (satan) are going to shovel dirt on top of you. Shake it off and keep stepping up to the challenge as it is presented. Never give up no matter what the opposition. Keep the vision before you of becoming a faithful follower of Christ and never vacillate no matter how much dirt the world shovels your way.
It is not the super talented, or the super gifted that turn the world upside down for Christ and make a difference in the world in which they live, but it is the super dedicated under the empowering of the Holy Spirit that change the world for Christ and leave a lasting spiritual legacy.
Pastor, Randy Mason www.libertybaptistofmarshalltown.com
Liberty Baptist Church of Marshalltown
Pastor Randy Mason