The GFWC/Iowa Toledo Woman’s Club has been active with 15 charter members ever since its inception in 1894.
The constitution of the club states “The object of this organization shall be the social and intellectual advancement of women” Although this still holds true, after researching the historians’ books, we believe the work and results of this club has changed over the years. The Women’s Club has participated in many projects over the years.
In 1919, the Toledo City Library was founded and all federated clubs were instrumental in its organization. Although the club has always contributed to the General and State Federation projects, the club has changed to the extent that we contribute more generously to the needs of our local young people, older citizens and to our community in general.
A few of those projects include scholarships for STC and MCC students, the Toledo Park, Ditty Bags, CARE, The Wieting Theatre, Project Prom, Tama County Museum and Historical Society, Toledo Senior Center, CIRSI and the STC Food Pantry to name a few.
Many hours are donated in volunteering by Women’s Club members. The projects are directed to help benefit others, but in doing so, it is a direct benefit to the women themselves. -Submitted
Presenting a donation to Library Director, Jenny Bledsoe is Floriss Adair, President. Pictured left to right are back row – Georgia Matzdorf, Ann Hendricks, Earlene Bacon, Karen Havran, Marlene Eernisse, Joanne Yuska and Arlene Gerlach. Front Row – Dorothy Vest, Fern Dowd, Dalene Larkin, Shirley Otterman, Ann McMullin, Ila Jean Bratton, Adair andBledsoe. Members not pictured are Roberta Dostal, Sharon Yuska and Maxine Boles. -Photo provided